[ale] OT: Free Showing of "Invisible Ballots", Thursday, 3/16, 7:00pm, UUCA

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Mar 22 09:44:19 EST 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 11:58:35AM -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> While no one can say that electronic voting is 100% secure and valid, it
> has also been shown (for decades) that manual voting is full of fraud,
> much fraud.  There have been cases of paying people to vote, dead people
> voting, etc. (btw, mostly for liberal leaning candidates).
Actually, the current Diebold system forced on Georgia voters is
0% (zero percent) secure and, futher, violates the legal mandate to
be able to audit the ballots for a recount.  A single person could
alter not just a few of the votes but ALL of them.  It is quite scary
and has a potential error rate of 100% vs. the 2% or so from chaff
hanging from ballots.

I studied the Johns Hopkins analysis of the Diebold code and it was
shockingly insecure.  Even the concept of cryptographic signatures that
could help validate date was absent even though they are easy to use.

The "voter-verifiable paper ballots" that many, including myself, advocate
is secure.  After voting, one's vote is printed out inside the voting booth
but enclosed in clear plastic to prevent tampering.  The voter reads it
and then presses one button to accept or another one to reject it if it
is inaccurate.

Once the "accept" button is pressed, the printed ballot drops into an
opaque box and is available for recounts and, in the case of disputes,
will be considered the original and correct ballot.  The cost of the
printer is quite small and the cost of the software update is trivial.

> The technological solution at least offers means for improvement. As we
> have seen recently in Georgia there is a large number of people against
> showing proper ID to vote (even though they have to show ID to cash a
> check at the bank).  So I say enable technology to solve the problems
> that people themselves can't.  Should we trust everyone, No.  But you
> have to trust someone, else your life is shallow and difficult. ;-)
The showing of ID to vote is completely unrelated to whether one votes
with paper ballots, electronically, or otherwise.  I agree that picture
ID should be required that proves the person's identity and that they
are a citizen.

> -Jim P.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed (or in any election)!"
   -- Bob Toxen 10/03/2002 (03/23/2006)