[ale] Mythtv Build-In

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 20 23:29:55 EST 2006

Cliff,
Is there any particular problem with having a MythTV box record a
program that a DirecTV DVR was broadcasting?  So, you had the DVR decode
and record the initial signal from the satellite.  Then you used the
builtin DVR "Record to VCR" function to start the movie or show.  The
MythTV box would then record the show onto it's hard drive for long term
storage.  Is there a significant loss in signal quality this way?  I
know VCR tapes look muddy now compared to the initial display from the
DVR outputs.

I have a mess at home too.  A Directv DVR, simple VCR, a dvd player, all
hooked up to the TV via a A/B type switch box.  The DVR is hooked to the
VCR with a direct cable for recording, but I never seem to use that.
None of this stuff is hooked to the home stereo so the sound is not great.

I have a PVR 250 to work with for a MythTV install, but have gotten
interested in upgrading and enhancing the Directv DVR.  Seems I can use
the PVTnet software and docs to add a hard drive upgrade and put the DVR
on my home network.  It is a Philips DSR-704 so has dual tuners but on
35 hours recording capability.  I've dumped lots of movies I've bought
from Payperview, sadly, to make room.
Dow