[ale] Starting a service (was: Loading kernel modules at boot)

Stephen Cristol stephen at usersouth.com
Mon Mar 20 13:48:20 EST 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 9:49 AM, Jason Day wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 09:27:55PM -0500, Stephen Cristol wrote:
>> Since this service script gets run as root, I was surprised by the
>> "permission denied". Any suggestions on why this isn't working?
>
> It's difficult to tell without knowing what your service does, but
> verify the permissions on the mountpoint and the device file are
> correct.  Also, make sure you have access to the webdav server you're
> trying to mount.

Jason,

Thanks for the reply. The service mounts/unmounts a webdav server via
wdfs (a driver for the fuse kernel module). It currently seems to
work correctly after booting, but fails to mount the webdav server
when services are normally started in the boot sequence.

The permissions on the mountpoint are correct; I don't know what the
permissions on the device should be, but here is what I see:

[sc ~]$ ls -l /dev/fuse
crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 10, 229 Mar 20 13:40 /dev/fuse
[sc ~]$

I have confirmed my access to all the webdav servers I have been
using for testing. Currently, I'm using a public test server at
<http://test.webdav.org/dav/>.

> Also, I assume you know this, but there is a webdav filesystem for
> linux:
> http://dav.sourceforge.net

Yes. It is a driver for the Coda kernel module. I've used it in the
past, but changes to it in recent versions made it less suitable for
my purposes.

Thanks,