[ale] unusual problem with nic

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Mar 18 09:15:56 EST 2006

I'm having an unusual problem with a compaq computer.  Just installed
SuSE 10.0 and all went well, except when it attempted to do the online
update and get latest release notes.  Figured I'd work on that after the
full install.

Now that the box is installed, I can browse websites fine, very fast.
Problem is, when I attempt to run online update, it stalls.  Looking at
dmesg output I see the following:

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0c 0005 c07f media 10.
eth0: Tx queue start entry 4  dirty entry 0.
eth0:  Tx descriptor 0 is 0008a03c. (queue head)
eth0:  Tx descriptor 1 is 0008a03c.
eth0:  Tx descriptor 2 is 0008a03c.
eth0:  Tx descriptor 3 is 0008a03c.
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1

I've tried modifying the MTU value, but that doesn't seem to make any
difference.  Can't seem to ssh in or out of the box either.

I can abort the update and restart it and it'll sometimes make some
progress.  Right now I've only been able to update 50% of the necessary
packages.

Anyone seen anything like this?

--
Until later, Geoffrey