[ale] Webcam/capture device?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Mar 16 14:57:49 EST 2006

Robert L. Harris wrote:

>   With the kids growing up I want to set up some better monitoring in and
> around the house.  I currently have a small creative webcame that is usb
> attached that I can monitor with Motion.  Easy to use but a small,
> grainy picture.  I'm looking now for something with 1024x768 or better
> preferably with color that won't take alot of custom compling drivers,
> etc.  I would like to stay with something USB attached but I can look at
> a hauppage card if I must but I don't want to have to stick 5+ cards
> into my machine to monitor the different areas around the house, in and
> outside.

You can purchase capture cards that have up to 3 ports on them.  They
are about $100.  Your fps will drop dramatically, unless you purchase
the 3 port card that has 1 controller per card, that one is about $300.
bt878 chipsets so they are supported out of the box with motion.  I have
the 3 port card and a handful of single port cards.

If you really want that good an image, you're going to be dropping some
bucks for your cameras.  You can spend about $50 for color cameras that
will give you images that will permit you to recognize your own
children.  Pay a little more and you can get them with night vision that
is good for about 3 meters.  Not something you're going to print out and
send to grandma.  If you want higher resolution, the price goes up
quick, $300 and up for decent images.

--
Until later, Geoffrey