[ale] Finding desktops, laptops and hardware in Atlanat

H. A. Story adrin at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 13 18:12:33 EST 2006

Geoffrey wrote:

>James P. Kinney III wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 10:14 -0500, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>>

>>>The problem with this in practice is that when Micro Seconds, Goodwill,
>>>etc., accepts a computer, how do they know if the license is still in
>>>force?  They can't - unless MS has some sort of phone-home database that
>>>keeps track of all licenses and license holders.
>>>

>>They have it in the system updater process. That's why the security
>>patches now require the "new" updater tool. As long as the user name
>>list hasn't changed the system just appears to have been relocated to a
>>new ISP. Start adding new user accounts...
>>

>I do know that you can not take a version of oem XP from a new computer
>and install it on a different computer.  It knows what hardware it is
>supposed to be on and will not install.
>
>This happened to me when I attempted to move the XP from a new Sony box
>to my daughter's box.  I was going to use the Sony box as a pure Linux
>box.  The software would not install on her box.

And that is the reason I hate systems of that nature and prefer generic
boxes.  Have some fun.  Put a generic non-retail XP CD in a Acer machine
and watch what happens.  Divide be zero during boot.  Sony, Compaq, HP,
Packer Bell, Acer, Dell.... etc all have those restore/install CDs.
Personally they should just call them install CDs.  Cause you are not
going to restore anything..