[ale] Finding desktops, laptops and hardware in Atlanat

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Mon Mar 13 06:00:50 EST 2006

On Sun March 12 2006 11:01 pm, Howard A Story wrote:
> I am probably wrong. ?But I think MicroSeconds got in trouble doing
> this a few years back. ?So I also believe and would suggest checking
> M$ website to find out for sure. ? If you by a system and it has
> windows preloaded you are supposed to get the CDs or it is to be
> removed before you leave. ?I also think that ?M$ is not transferable
> form owner to owner. ? I would really suggest looking at M$ website
> though. ?As a general rule I shy away form systems of this nature,
> unless it comes with all install CDs and license. ?Or the vendor can
> sale me a OEM CD with the system.

I just went to the Dell site and configured a laptop. One of the items
was the MS CD, for $8. My new XPS M140 Dell laptop did NOT come with a
Windows XP or restoration CD. So if I blow away my partitioning I lose
my ability to restore windows. I was able to shrink the NTFS partition
and install SUSE, but now I have a mess, where I have a 40 gig NTFS,
15 GB reiserfs for Linux and another 35 GB that I can't make a
partition out of. XP won't touch the free space even though it sees
it. Something about 4 logical partitions, but I don't rightly
remember..
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800