[ale] Alien error

A LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 09:10:33 EST 2006

On 3/7/06, joh6nn <joh6nn at hotpop.com> wrote:
> sort of a convoluted path to follow, but here goes:
>
> i noticed that i could consistently crash Gaim, so before filing a bug
> report, i thought to try moving from 1.5 up to the 2.0 beta, and see if
> the bug was still present.  however, i'm running Kubuntu, and the new
> beta seems to be available only as either a source tar-ball, or as an
> rpm.  i didn't really want to compile from source, so i thought, "no
> problem, just 'apt-get install alien', and be on my way".  no dice.  i
> can convert a .deb package to .rpm without any problems, but .rpm to
> .deb will fail with the following error message, regardless of .rpm (i
> downloaded some others just to check):
>
> Error executing "LANG=C rpm -qp --queryformat %{SUMMARY} gaim.rpm":  at
> /usr/share/perl5/Alien/Package.pm line 449.
>
> i've googled, and found other people have had similar problems, but the
> pages i found were in languages i don't speak, and there were no
> immediately obvious solutions provided.
>
> anyone have an idea?

- was your working directory the directory where gaim.rpm was located
at the time when you got the error?

- what happens when you execute that command at the command line in
that directory?

I'm just poking at the alien svn repo... it looks like that code is
being executed as part of a scan() method in Alien/Package/Rpm.pm.

I doubt I can help much, but perhaps I can improve the quality of the
breadcrumbs.

-A