[ale] OT New thread -new iMacs- Joe's question

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Wed Mar 1 09:54:52 EST 2006

Raylynn Knight wrote:
> I went to buy an iMac for my daughter's birthday and ended up with a
> Mini Mac because they no longer had any 17" G5 iMac's and I refuse to
> buy the Intel iMac's as I predict it will be less than 60 days before
> they are hit with spyware and viruses originally targeted at x86 Windows
> boxes and modified just enough to run on the Intel Macs.

Why would you think that Windows spyware and viruses would be easily
ported to OS X?  The fact that they are now using the same CPU doesn't
really make much difference, the fact that OS X and Windows have
entirely different APIs would be what makes it totally impossible.

If sharing a common CPU was all that was needed I would have had to have
started worrying about my Linux desktops a very long time ago...

Pat