[ale] mounting an SD card

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 08:10:25 EDT 2006

On Thu, June 29 2006 06:43, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wed June 28 2006 10:26 pm, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> > Interesting... I only see the one USB event in that output. ?Is your
> > output from dmesg always that small?
>
> does this show one device, or one USB and one SCSI device? Maybe what I
> am seeing is the camera as one and also the memory as another?
>
> sb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4

Here is the camera (presumably, that is what you plugged in that generated
the event...).  It is address 4 on the USB bus.

> scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> usb-storage: device found at 4

Here, the USB Mass Storage driver "claimed" address number 4 on the bus as
something that it handles.  So it recognized that the USB device at address
4 was a USB Mass Storage, and it is now working with it.

> usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning

This is always a good idea, especially with USB hard drives and the like.
Since all the kernel knows is that it is a USB Mass Storage device, it
treats them all the same before scanning them.

> SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.10.3
> DST=192.168.10.255 LEN=175 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP
> SPT=631 DPT=631 LEN=155

Firewall stuff.

> ? Vendor: OLYMPUS ? Model: C750UZ ? ? ? ? ? ?Rev: 1.00
> ? Type: ? Direct-Access ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> SCSI device sda: 512000 512-byte hdwr sectors (262 MB)

The USB Mass Storage device has been assigned SCSI device sda.

> sda: Write Protect is off
> sda: Mode Sense: 18 00 00 08
> sda: assuming drive cache: write through
> SCSI device sda: 512000 512-byte hdwr sectors (262 MB)
> sda: Write Protect is off
> sda: Mode Sense: 18 00 00 08
> sda: assuming drive cache: write through

Generic information: read-write, 262 MB, assuming that it is write-through
caching.

> ?sda: sda1

This USB Mass Storage device has one partition on it.

> Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, ?type 0
> usb-storage: device scan complete

sda is the access node for the disk for normal things, and sg0 is the
SCSI "generic" device, which can be used for other (e.g., non-normal)
things.  And here, usb-storage (the driver for USB Mass Storage devices)
says that its scanning work is done.  Now, you can use the device as any
other.

Each "new" device on the USB bus gets its own address number.  My one
girlfriend has a phone that you can plug into the USB port on the computer,
and it takes 4 USB addresses, 1 is for a USB modem, and I am not sure (yet)
what the others are for, since I haven't looked hard into it yet.

That's why I recommended that you start with a tail -f on the kernel log;
you can actually see (in close-ish to real time) what is happening as it
happens, and see if the camera is just taking one address on the USB bus or
more.  Each address has to be "claimed" by a driver that handles a class of
devices, such as Mass Storage.

	HTH,
	Mike