[ale] stupid sys admin tricks

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 21:35:31 EDT 2006

can't login from command line, from X windows ? any error on the
screen when it fails ?
login as regular user (phoil, regularJoe) or super (root)?

what about boot to single user mode first ? make sure /usr has 755 permission.
not familiar with Mandriva. If it has SELinux enabled, check security
context of /usr and dirs under.