[ale] load issue

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Thu Jun 22 21:31:25 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 07:49 pm, David Corbin wrote:
> I have box that is getting "loads" in the 4-5 range, but when I run top,
> it's 97.5% idle, and there are not 5 jobs that list a %CPU > 0.0.
>
> When I login to the box, it's very responsive.  But, when I ssh to it, I
> never get any response.  It doesn't fail, just hangs.
>
> This box is inside my firewall, so while it's possibly that it's been
> hacked, I think it "not likely" (and I certainly hope it hasn't been).

Update:

In addition to ssh not working, it doesn't seem to respond well to DNS queries
(which it normally does).  But, networking in general seems to be working.

I rebooted the system, and with an hour LA had hit 4 again.  This system
really doesn't do anything, so theres just no reason for it's LA (1, 5, 15)
to be 4, though it didn't seem to jump 4 right after boot, but crept up.

More ideas?
David