[ale] CARS and engines

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Tue Jun 20 09:38:58 EDT 2006

On Monday 19 June 2006 22:50, fostermail at bellsouth.net wrote:
| Only Math\Co Fords had 287's

By 1957 the Ford "small block" 260 had been bored out to 289 cubes.
My roommate in college had a '57 Ford stationwagon with that engine.
He (and the car) were from New Hampshire and the entire car was a
rust bucket, held together by the chrome trim.

Recently I went looking for a replacement vehicle and wandered in to
a local Pontiac dealer and asked to see "a Goat." None of the salesmen
on the floor, nor the sales manager, had a clue what I was talking about!

Finally found one (in Northern Virginia) I could test drive.  Goes like
stink.  The back seat is totally useless.  Only small monkeys can crawl
back there. There are no hand grips -- so no place to hang anything. The
one I looked at didn't come with "run-flat" tires and had a totally
useless doughnut for a spare.

Sean