[ale] Stoopid Noobs

KingBahamut gwosbahamut at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 08:59:50 EDT 2006

I remember the old days of a slackware install and trying to recompile the
kernel.

I kept causing kernel panic , reinstalled 9 times in one time trying to fix
it. Hit a mailing list and got called an idiot by more than one person.

On 6/15/06, H. A. Story <adrin at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Used  dd once wrong and have been scared ever since.
>
> Figured out the hard way that the tar and paths within the tar file are
> not the same in SCO and Linux.
>
> Sorry I had to bring the 3 letters into the mix.
>
> Adrin
>
> James P. Kinney III wrote:
>
> >In a production environment on the master login authentication machine
> >adding a new user required manually editing the passwd file to set up
> >the TACACS connection port (this was at HP). So I did a:
> >sudo cp /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.new
> >sudo vi /etc/passwd.new
> >sudo mv /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.BAK && mv /etc/passwd.new /etc/passwd
> >
> >and promptly discovered that the sudo command on HPUX doesn't cache an
> >authentication cookie and expiration time, it caches the password as
> >suddenly no one could log in because there was no /etc/passwd file.
> >
> >Luckily, someone else did have a root shell open on that machine. But it
> >did take nearly 40 minutes to find them.

> >>Ouch.

> >>Now the post mortem. The stupidity was not in trying to copy the file.
> >>The stupidity was in the fact that it succeeded. So that means you had
> >>to be logged in a root.
> >>
> >>Yet another reason to take care doing root activities.
> >>
> >>I have mine of course. Try the difference between
> >>
> >>rm -rf / tmp
> >>
> >>and the intended
> >>
> >>rm -rf /tmp
> >>
> >>That one required a reinstall too. Ouch. Even worse I thought I knew
> >>what I was doing so I was root on purpose, not out of ignorance.
> >>
> >>BAJ

KingBahamut
http://doc.gwos.org - Definitive Ubuntu Documentation
"I could tell you the probability, but you wouldnt like it."