[ale] mythtv hardware question

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 09:19:54 EDT 2006

I'm in the throes of building a mythTV box meself. I got a Shuttle "Zen"
ST62K barebones, threw a P4 2.4 ghz processor, 512 mb of RAM, and a 400 gb
hard drive in there, and splurged on a PVR 500. I used knoppmyth R5B7 for
the initial install.  I haven't actually gotten it to work yet due to ALSA
issues (which I hope to resolve when next I get some time to hack on it).

But ivtv recognizes the card (both tuners), and after some initial thrashing
re loading the firmware from the drive I believe it will actually run it as
well. I also had little trouble (like, only some minor password idiocy on my
part) connecting to zap2it and downloading my local program listings.

The big question about speccing a mythTV box seems to be card vs processor
speed, but a P2.66 should be more than adequate from what I've been able to
gather.

BTW BEWARE of the "separate video modes..." choice in the "Options" part of
mythTV. If you check this blindly, it'll mung X for the "mythtv" user and
you won't be able to get it back -- at least, I was unable to find where
those parameters are kept from the command line. Perhaps it fiddles a
database table. I eventually took the Path of Least Resistance and
re-installed.

If you're gonna try to capture audio, you might want to consider getting a
kool sound card as well.

I concur with Mr. Farris's recomendations re video cards and capture cards.

-- CHS