[ale] mythtv hardware question

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Tue Jun 13 20:12:50 EDT 2006

Pardon me if I missed the summary of the recent MythTV build-in, I get
ALE in digest mode and do occasionally miss things.

I'm fed up with my Windows MCE platform for video capture/editing/DVD
creation, and even my Snapstream Win2k box with a Hauppauge USB PVR add
on, which used to do a wonderful job of PVR and video capture, is
refusing to see the capture device now.

So, I've got a P4, 2.66 GHz box I'm going to add some RAM to get at
least 1 GB, maybe 2GB, add a bigger hard drive, and add a video capture
card to turn it into a MythTV PVR/video editing box using, e.g., Kino.

After initial Googling, I see that the Hauppauge-PVR 250 is quite
popular for MythTV, and the 350 more capable, but lacking in OpenGL and
optimum X support.  I want to use this box for PVR, video capture from
my digital camcorder, video editing and DVD production, and audio
capture from old vinyl records and reel-to-reel and cassette tapes,
editing, and studio production if possible.  The MythTV site is somewhat
ambiguous about recommending a particular video capture card, does
anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks,
Daniel