[ale] Share my frustration: what do you do for fax/data modems?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jun 13 15:51:01 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 15:38 -0400, Byron A Jeff wrote:

> So I'm looking for ideas. As you can well guess my preference is to have
> a modem with a controller that functions standalone without additional
> driver software. I hope to get 56K dialup and fax functionality.
>
> I figure I'm just looking in the wrong places. So I'm asking for advise.
>
> Thanks.

I managed to buy an internal PCI data/fax/voice modem a few years back.
It is a USRobotics. I have also seen external modems at Microcenter.
Some (most) use USB instead of serial. That works well with Linux now,
too. I had a USR USB DFV modem that I used as my answering machine with
VOCP (http://vocp.sourceforge.net/) until it got hit by lightning.