[ale] Share my frustration: what do you do for fax/data modems?

KingBahamut gwosbahamut at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 15:43:52 EDT 2006

well first off, grab current release (not that flight6 doesnt make a
difference, after you update it, but if your on dailup that could get REALLY
annoying).

I always use pricewatch for what im looking for tech wise (over ebay
usually, unless im hunting a Sparc station, then I do use ebay).

http://www.pricewatch.com/networking/287252-1.htm

or I might have one of a variety in my Baha's Box of Junk.

On 6/13/06, Byron A Jeff <byron at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> Modems used to be a simple affair. Attach via a serial port, open up a
> terminal program (or configure ppp) and off you go.
>
> Then to streamline (and probably to cut costs too) modems were
> internalized.
> A bit more problematic (IRQ conflicts and the like) but not so difficult
> as
> to give a headache.
>
> And then came the Winmodems like stormtroopers across the plains. Sigh.
> Now
> you need a driver and judicious finger crossing for any hope of getting a
> modem to work.
>
> My current battle is with the machine I'm trying to set up for my
> Mother-in-law. Or more accurately, the machine I'm setting up for my kids
> use when they visit my mother-in-law. In an attempt to go back to the good
> old days, I set up a PII 233 with 96MB ram and 8G HD to act fundamentally
> as a simple dial up terminal. I threw in an old 56K ISA internal modem for
> good measure. I'm testing with Kubuntu Dapper (flight 6 I think).
>
> Slower than molassass on a freezing January Vermont night. Ouch!
>
> So I'm going to have to bite the bullet and use a faster machine. However
> that scratches my modem because it's ISA and as we all well know the
> chance
> of finding a modern MB with ISA is 0, nada, zilch, nothing!
>
> Over the years I've purchased external modems via Ebay and surplus with no
> good results. I'd really hate to have to spend nearly $50 just to get an
> external modem that works.
>
> So I'm looking for ideas. As you can well guess my preference is to have
> a modem with a controller that functions standalone without additional
> driver software. I hope to get 56K dialup and fax functionality.
>
> I figure I'm just looking in the wrong places. So I'm asking for advise.
>
> Thanks.
>
> BAJ

KingBahamut
Founder of the GWoS
All Around Geek
"I could tell you the probability, but you wouldnt like it."