[ale] OT: Craig Newmark of Craig's List on Net Neutrality

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Jun 12 09:46:00 EDT 2006

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>> Jim Popovitch wrote:
>>
>>> Is that FUD?  Where do you see that this is the issue that broadband
>>> providers are concerned with?
>> Do you really think they'll stop at simply prompting you to go to
>> another site?  Come on, look at television.  There's not a channel out
>> there that doesn't have pop up commercials during the shows now.  It was
>> bad enough when the commercials interupted the shows, now they're
>> running during them.
>
> So, why aren't you advocating a law to restrict TV broadcasters from
> displaying pop-up ads on their content?  I understand that you have
> pet-peeves (lots of them it seems ;-)), but really now, should everyone
> of your pet-peeves stimulate a new law (which, btw, passing new laws
> isn't cheap either)?

You know what Jim, I'm not going to get into another pissing contest
with you because you seem to enjoy that.  But, I did not once mentioned
creating any laws.  The original post was about a law that was pushed
through that would quote: 'allow internet service providers to play
favorites among different web sites.'  Seems to me, I'm simply arguing
against that law.

As for television, I simply don't watch it anymore, so the popup ad
folks don't get my eyes..

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin