[ale] HOW2 stop printer after printing has begun ?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jun 10 17:07:33 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 16:57 -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I can turn the printer power off indefinitely and when it's repowered,
> it starts printing where it left off. That's why I said I assume the
> spooling is from ram.
>
> Any other thoughts  :-)

It's lengthy but this sequence works to clear out the buffers
everywhere.

Power off the printer
Unplug the parallel port cable
Stop cups (or lpd)
Unload the lpt kernel module (it has a buffer!)
Plug in the parallel port
Power on the printer
Start cups (or lpd) which will reload the lpt module

I have had issues with unloading the lpt module with the cable still
plugged in on some models of Panasonic printers. Even with the power
off, some printers will acknowledge the existence of a device on that
parallel port. That will block the module unload as it does still have
data to send. I have not found a way to flush the module buffer with out
unloading it or re-writing it to add a user-space hook to listen to kill
command.

> Courtney

> > You know, I thought I was the last person in the world to be using a
> > dot-matrix printer... :)

I have a dot-matrix for tax forms :)