[ale] NCQ: Was: Build-yer-own NAS server

J. D. jdonline at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 22:20:09 EDT 2006

> > FYI - NCQ is a SATA-only feature.  I haven't seen it on any IDE drives.
>
> > Cheers!
> > Jay
>
> > NCQ was a SCSI only feature, until recently when some drive mfgrs
> started including it on  >SATA drives.

This is interesting.. I did a little more digging and apparently NCQ is a
newer form of TCQ or Tagged Command Queuing that is used in scsi
architechture. Supposedly it did one time exist in PATA drives briefly but
did not last. They claim it was introduced into ATA-4 but I have no
recollection of the sort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_command_queuing

Best regards,
J. D.