[ale] OT: Comcast

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jun 7 20:21:00 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 13:40 -0400, Steve Brown wrote:

> They better get that dry-copper going by August, or I may have to
> renew my contract with Comcast... =/
> -Steve

Speakeasy can handle that for most areas they have service in. I have
one of those lines here in Tucker. It works just fine. I have a service
outage once and a bit of tech talk and they could see they couldn't see
the router. They rolled a Bellsouth truck to my door in less than 2
hours.

Once caveat to the dry pair installs: when a pot-head (Plain Old
Telephone tech) is in the big green box looking for unused pairs to put
dialtone on, that dry pair looks available to them as it has no audible
noise on a butt set. One of my client was using a dry pair DSL and the
service just went out. Speakeasy said they get an echo out to about 500
feet from the demark line. I walked outside and about 500' up the street
was a dslam with a "pot head" in it poking for wires. I went to speak
with him and he swore up and down he didn't disconnect any wires (which
did nothing to explain how a wire was inserted into each alligator clip
on his butt set). He was on his cell phone with his supervisor. I called
Speakeasy and got my tech guy, explained the situation I was looking at
and was told to hold on a moment. My speakeasy tech got Bellsouth on the
line and managed to drill down to the supervisor the pot-head was on the
phone with! The line was reconnected before I could walk back the 500'
to the shop and all I had to do was thank the speakeasy tech and restart
the router. :)
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>