[ale] OT: Comcast

Steve Brown braino420 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 13:40:06 EDT 2006

>Message: 3
>Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 17:27:18 -0400
>From: Bob Toxen <transam at verysecurelinux.com>
>Subject: Re: [ale] OT: Comcast
>To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>
>According to BellSouth (about 6 months ago), you can get their
>high-speed fiber Internet (3M or 6M) EVEN IF YOU DON'T have local phone
>service with them.  (I switched to Covista, though I'm not all that happy
>with Covista and may switch back).
>
>They quoted me an extra $5/mo for Internet if I don't have phone service
>with BellSouth.  Again, that was 6 months ago.

Hmm, this isn't true with Speedfactory. I emailed them to tell them I do not
have a local phone line, because we all use cell phones. Here is their
reply:

Mr. Brown,

We are currently unable to provide DSL without a local phone line by
BellSouth.
Within the next few months we should be able to offer 'dry-copper' DSL,
which does not require a BellSouth phone line to ride on.
Thank you for using Speed Factory!

They better get that dry-copper going by August, or I may have to renew my
contract with Comcast... =/

-Steve