[ale] NewbieQ: VOIP and AU-100 Handset work for Linux?

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue Jun 6 07:44:11 EDT 2006

I have a Grandstream, Budgetone 100 ethernet phone that is connected to
my Asterisk PBX on a Linux box, but since it plugs into the ethernet, I
suspect it could connect directly to a voip provider on the internet
that supports that hardware with changes to my router to open the right
ports up.  It's my understanding the Skype does a proprietary protocol
to the phone, so it has to be running special firmware.  The Grandstream
is OK however there is a little echo on the other end, they tell me.  I
used a Softphone with Skype with great success.  I imagine the hard
phone will work equally well.

Jim.