[ale] Looking for backup solution.

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Jun 5 14:01:40 EDT 2006

I tried bacula because it had everything I needed, however I couldn't
get it to work the first time and then when I tried later it seemed to
work after screwing with it too long.  Now all of a sudden it started
failing.

So I'm going to trash it and try something else.

What I liked about bacula were the following features.

* it does either full backups or incremental ones.
* it allows me to include/exclude directories/files.
* it runs from a single machine and dumps files from multiple systems,
including Windows

Rsync does the second, but unless you write some sort of script to
schedule the target in different places, it  won't solve the first and
as far as I know it doesn't do the third for windows.  I know you can
run rsync on windows, but you can't schedule it from Linux unless you
install some sort of ssh server on the windows box.  I'd rather have a
complete package that runs everwhere if possible.

I'm dumping to a dedicated 200 Gb drive on one of my Linux boxes.  I
dont have a tape drive.

Dump is pretty quick, but it doesn't let me exclude the crap I really
don't want to be bothered with among other limitations.

So does anyone know of any reasonable solutions? Something that'll last
more than a couple of months?  (bacula)

Thanks,
Jim.