[ale] slashdot article on high speed issues

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jun 2 10:24:49 EDT 2006

Pat Regan wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>> http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/06/06/01/2333210.shtml
>>
>> Comcast is mentioned...
>>

> I perused that article last night and it made me chuckle.  Everyone was
> complaining that they were paying for X bandwidth and speed tests showed
> that they were only getting half of X.
>
> For giggles, I tried 2 random speed tests.  Both gave me around 1.5/500
> or so.  Immediately after the test I was able to sustain a bit over 500
> KB/sec downloading updates, which is more like 4 megabit.
>
> Why is everyone blindly trusting these speed tests that could be located
> anywhere? :p

The speed tests at least will give you some idea of what you're getting.
  Having more then one speed test is even better.

Until there are more choices, the high speed stuff will be subject to
whatever the providers want to give you.  Call your ISP and ask them
what is the minimum guaranteed speed.  There is none.  The bottom line
is, the advertised speeds are actually maximums.  They will not
guarantee any speed.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin