[ale] Ale Digest, Vol 96, Issue 10

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 21:09:48 EDT 2006

On Thu, June 1 2006 13:41, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Thu June 1 2006 1:27 pm, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> > My kernel, running on Dapper:
> >
> > fd0man at fd0man-laptop:~$ uname -a
> > Linux fd0man-laptop 2.6.15-23-386 #1 PREEMPT Tue May 23 13:49:40 UTC
> > 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
> > fd0man at fd0man-laptop:~$
>
> I'll probably put it on my Dell XPS laptop, when it finishes
> downloading.... maybe not this weekend, as I leave tomorrow morning
> for Ft. Lauderdale. Business, NOT pleasure.
> gotta drive from Athens to Hartsfield for a 9:30 flight, aint THAT
> gonna be fun!!!

I can tell you that Kubuntu went on wonderfully on my Toshiba Satellite
A55-S1064.  The only downside is that this laptop does not have a setup
program within the BIOS, so in order to change BIOS settings, for the
moment, I need to have the Windows programs that do things and change the
boot order, enable/disable the trackpad thing, and so forth.  If I was
worth my weight in table salt as a systems programmer, I would reverse
engineer the provided tools and write equivalent tools for updating the
BIOS settings under Linux.

Maybe somebody will write something like that soon, if the laptop becomes
popular enough -- after all, I did buy this at Wally World.

	- Mike