[ale] Need a big external drive quick. Suggestions?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 19:17:26 EDT 2006

Okay, I've decided to get a Maxtor 1 TB external from Fry's (8 in stock).

In the meatime I took a look at XFS and how effiecient it is at not
wasting disk blocks.

I'm amazed.

I've got a 300 GB drive I use for backups.  Mostly big xfs dump files.

Per /sys/block/sdc and df it has only a 0.045% loss due to filesystem
overhead.  ie. not 4.5%, but truly only 0.045%

Then I looked at df -i and it appears that inodes are not reserved.  I
assume they are claimed as needed.  Therefore if you are putting big
files on it, that also is a very low loss rate for inodes.

The next result is that for my use I should be able to get at least
99% usability out of a 750 GB drive.  ie. My typical file I will put
on there is 2GB, so I won't need very many inodes compared to regular
data blocks.

My only trouble is that I need to have Windows compatibility and XFS
definately does not offer that.

Greg