[ale] Suse 10.1 updates

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 31 10:28:15 EDT 2006

If you install Suse 10.1 or later you have a new update scheme involving the Zen daemon.  Jason Perlow published a method to get around an initial broken functionality in that package.  His article is in Linux Magazine if your interested.  However, just go to the smartd package manager site http://labix.org/smart and get to the suse rpm pages.  Install all the smart rpms for your hardware type 64 or 32 bit, and run "smart update" and then "smart upgrade".  It will ask you if you want to use the initial set of repositories.  I said yes to all.  Then, it will download like apt a bunch of metadata, then the upgrade command will download and install all needed updates.  An interesting side note is that after I had done this procedure, the Zen daemon had a site registered and started picking up security updates.  Now, I had run the configuration procedure in Yast for the update process previous to all the smart install, update, and upgrade, but that had not initially worked.

You would install SUSE 10.1
configure the update in Yast
issue "rug refresh" as root at the command line
run yast online update
install smart, run smart update, run smart upgrade
Zen should work for security updates from then on

Thanks,
Dow

No sig.