[ale] Mac switcher ... to Ubuntu

Thomas Stromberg lists at stromberg.org
Sun Jul 30 09:34:28 EDT 2006

On 30 jul 2006, at 09.17, Robert Story wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:01:50 -0400 Thomas wrote:
> TS> capable of supporting two DVI monitors, as it's PCI only.  Running
> TS> Linux on my G5 sounded like a good compromiseat first until I
> think
> TS> about the binary-only applications I use that do are only
> available
> TS> under Linux x86:
> TS>
> TS> * Bibble Pro (RAW Photo management)
> TS> * Macromedia Flash Player
> TS> * iTunes (through WINE / CrossOver)
> TS> * Google Earth
>
> Why not run MacOnLinux (MOL)? I don't know about the first one, but
> the last 3
> would work fine. I use MOL for the occasional MS Word doc I need to
> collaborate on with others.

Wow, I forgot all about MOL. It's been years since I've heard mention
of it. Sadly, it seems MOL development stalled out about a year ago
which is a shame. MOL support for Mac OS X 10.4 appears to through
unofficial patches (http://www-user.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~nissler/mol/
index.html), but working with some limitations. see  I don't see MOL
very viable to me, since I would end up always having one of the
aforementioned applications open.  Still, this is a really neat thing.

For now, I have put my Dual 2GHz on eBay/craigslist in the hopes of
buying an x86 equivalent some time down the road.

// Thomas Str?mberg
// http://toadstool.se/
// +1 678 773 9475