[ale] Linux Server distros

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 28 15:52:53 EDT 2006

> Many small businesses and home users are stuck with usb.  Linux is
> found outside the data center / enterprise environment.  I think its
> really just a case of trying use the one-size fits all distro.
> RedHat, Debian, SuSE, etc., could all probably make their base install
> more light weight,

Um...  I beg to differ.  SuSE here, and I can guarantee you I use
more data center than you do.  :)

Further, pretty much every system I've worked with has a server
installation, and can kickstart to your customization paramaters (see
the ALE NW meeting of two months ago).

The fostering of this untruth kinda needs to stop *especially* among
a linux group.  LoL

Linux is rapidly replacing BIG solutions in varying degrees.  On big
iron risc and sparc systems, and even z series mainframes.

Major portions have been rewritten/contributed to by the  big boys
like IBM and Sun, and are just as viable in the data center as
anything else.

I used to say that of course I would put my big DB machines on an AIX
or a Solaris, but after seeing what our esteemed Sid Lane can do with
MySQL, that phrase isn't in my vocabulary any more.

--Jerald