[ale] Useradd Replacement or Upgrade

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Thu Jul 27 10:26:56 EDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Bob Kruger wrote:

> In using Slackware 10.x, I've noticed that I can still not use the
> "useradd" command to add a new user with a period in their login.  I can
> manually edit the passwd and shadow files to get new users with a period
> in the username started, but that is a bit cumbersome and tedious.
>
> Does anyone know of a replacement for useradd or possibly and upgrade
> that allows you to add new users that have a period in the username?  I
> would prefer source code, but if there is a working binary already
> compiled, great.

slackware uses the user utils from the shadow suite. The upstream source
code blocks periods, upper case, etc. but most distros patch around
that. I know both Debian and Red Hat have patched versions you could
use, or just look at chkname.c in the shadow code and start revising to
meet your site's needs....

later,
chris