[ale] Linux Server distros

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Tue Jul 25 13:23:37 EDT 2006

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> Here's what I doing:
>
> I am setting up a few vmware server servers.  On the base install I
> don't need anything that vmware server doesn't need.  I don't
> particularly need LVM, but when using a RedHat distro (or derivative)
> LVM (and several other totally unnecessary things) must exist for the
> base install to exist. <- F**KING CRAZY!  I don't need nfs, or nfs libs,
> hotplug (it's freaking server!), USB (who uses USB mice/drives/etc on a
> server?), DHCP (argh!).  It just amazes me that in this day and age of
> using Linux on so many _servers_, it requires that the operator have a
> team of engineers to re-engineer a "professional" distribution in order
> to use it in their environment.

I normally install RHEL / Centos / Fedora using something like

%packages --nobase --resolvedeps
@Core
yum
openssh-server
openssh-clients
postfix

No nfs in sight. There is still LVM, but hey, I use LVM

As for USB, hotplug, etc. I haven't bought an x86 server in over a year
that wasn't USB-only. PS/2 is dead, dead, dead. Your VAR just hasn't
gotten the word yet ;-)

later,
chris