[ale] ASUS P5MT question

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jul 22 19:38:00 EDT 2006

James Sumners wrote:
> Are you using the official ATi Linux driver or the one that comes with
> Xorg? I am RMAing a drive today because of the POS ATi driver. I made
> the mistaking of believe the changelog when it said "fixed hang-up
> issues" and installing the new version (ditching the Xorg driver). As
> was the case with the previous version, it caused my SuSE 10.1 machine
> to stop responding once the damn screensaver kicked in. I had to hard
> reset the machine and in doing so acquired a few hundred bad sectors
> and some drive seek errors on my the main drive.

I'd love to have someone tell me I'm wrong, but, I don't think that a
hard reboot is capable of damaging your hard drive.

Anyone?  Seriously, I don't really know, but can't imagine how a
hardware problem such as physical damage to the drive is possible in
such a scenario.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin