[ale] SMP kernel on uniprocesser

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 21 16:10:49 EDT 2006

If hyperthreading is turned on, you have a HT enabled processor (P4 model 631), and a smp kernel installed, you should see two CPUs in /proc/cpuinfo, via top, and in the ps aux output, correct?  Also, what is the effect of running a smp kernel on a uniprocessor machine?  I've found a very stable machine actually has a smp kernel running but Hyperthreading was turned off.  Also, I've got a new machine that is not stable yet and is the situation I first stated above.  I'm now running it with a default kernel and hyperthreading turned off.
Thanks,
Dow

No sig.