[ale] HP ships FreeDOS on laptops

Denny Chambers dchambers at bugfixer.net
Fri Jul 21 11:03:50 EDT 2006

You must have to call to get the FreeDOS option. I didn't see that
option offered on any of the laptop that I tried to customize. I wonder
how much money that will actually save on a laptop, if any. In the past,
M$ had setup deals with OEM's, so that they get money for every computer
shipped, regardless of whether it had windows installed on it or not. I
know when Dell use to offer laptops with RedHat pre-installed, the price
was the same as if you were buying a windows laptop. A long time ago you
use to could buy a Compaq with out M$ on it...of couse it had no hard
drive. The sales rep said if the computer had a hard drive in it, that
it must be installed with Windows. What a load of B$. I have been
thinking about buying one of the new HP laptops with the Turion 64 X2
CPUs. I may call one of thesales reps and ask about the FreeDOS option.

Denny