[ale] Newbee needing help #6

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Tue Jul 18 18:38:22 EDT 2006

Interesting -

YAST was one of the reasons I picked SUSE as my distribution way back when.
It was the easiest, most logical admin tool I had found for linux, and it still is for me.
I don't really have any strong feelings about whether the tools I use are closed or open source, as long as they don't require windows too run them.

For what it's worth, NOvell opens sourced YAST over a year ago.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 17:39 -0400, James Taylor wrote:
> Just for reference, I have never had the YAST Nvidia update work for me from 7.2 to current.
> However the install package has always worked perfectly when I followed the procedures listed by Nvidia.
> I really like Nvidia's linux driver support.
> -jt
>

> James Taylor
> The East Cobb Group, Inc.
> 678-697-9420
> james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
> http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

Good to know the feedback on that. I didn't use Suse for a long time
because Yast was closed source (it just _felt_ dirty...). Suse was
instrumental in getting many graphics chips supported and for a long
time Yast was the only way to sanely install the drivers.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>