[ale] Newbee needing help #6

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Tue Jul 18 17:39:46 EDT 2006

Just for reference, I have never had the YAST Nvidia update work for me from 7.2 to current.
However the install package has always worked perfectly when I followed the procedures listed by Nvidia.
I really like Nvidia's linux driver support.
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> 07/18/06 5:34 PM >>>
top post just to piss off the ol' farts who worry about those things.

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 16:11 -0400, Bruce Jones wrote:
> Not Jim,
>
> Let me share my reasoning, I currently manage over 100 open discussions on 21 different Discussion Boards in my classes, it has been my experience that if you ask three questions in the same e-mail, the last one gets replied to, the others are skipped, seems to be human nature. I intentionally flagged my posts here "Nubee" so members of this group, who don't want to deal with new users, could ignore me if they chose. I will spread my questions out in the future, thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Bruce

Hi Bruce!

Welcome to the melting pot of geeks and personality problems called ALE!
As you have by now discovered, there are numerous crusty ol' farts whose
knickers get twisted by the slightest perceived injustice to their world
view.

Ignore them. This is a community and some here have more social skills
than others.

I tend to throw beer drinking bashes and cook meat over flame. I even
have friends. Some are even vegetarian :)

Any time you have a question about using Linux, ask here.There are many
knowledgeable people who, in their own time frame, will endeavor to
assist in any way they can. Sometimes, crusty ol' farts who have missed
their nap or forgot their "be nice" pill piss and moan onto the keyboard
and hit "Send" without reading what they wrote.

The cool thing is since you use Mozilla (or a derivative like
Thunderbird, or even Kmail or Evolution) you have access to filters.

Filters are great.

They let everyone have control over the Inbox.

Due to some flame wars on this list about 4 years ago (that wound up
getting very personal and abusive) some people are _STILL_ in my "delete
and die" filter list. those emails go straight to the /dev/null mailbox,
the great bit-bucket in the sky, <add your favorite euphemism here for
DELETED WITH PREJUDICE here>.

Now for some help (but not too much as I use RedHat, Centos, Fedora
varieties of Linux), the nvidia driver from the nvidia company is great!
It has some very detailed instruction on how to set it up and use it.

A word of warning: if you upgrade your kernel, you will need to upgrade
the video driver before you can back to the yummy goodness of a great X
screen environment. i.e.  boot to run level 3 and configure the nvidia
again. It's easy, just rerun the script.

Better yet, unpack the thing and read all of the directions (especially
the Advanced stuff) as there are ways to do the video upgrade after a
kernel upgrade and before the reboot into the new kernel.

There used to be a blurb about Suse and Yast and the nvidia stuff but I
can't recall the details. For a long time, Yast could get the nvidia and
do it for you. But I don't use Yast so...

To quote numerous places in Suse, "Have a lot of fun"!

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>