[ale] iptables issue

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 00:36:58 EDT 2006

JK wrote:

> As for your REJECT issues, are you sure the packets
> aren't being rejected by something earlier in the
> chain? It's hard to know exactly what is going on
> without seeing the entire ruleset.

I can appreciate that, as I'm sure you can appreciate my reasons for not
revealing them. ;-)

Essentially the rules block everything, and only open somethings.  In
the case of a webserver, the only rules (other than block everything)
are what I described earlier.  The process is trust lo and vpn0, then
protect eth0 (tcp finger printing, block multicast/broadcast, refuse
where src is same as dst,etc), then allow traffic in/out with certain
rules, finally log what remains and then block it.  So, it would appear
that this:
   OUTPUT BLOCKED: IN= OUT=eth1 SRC=WW.XX.YY.ZZ DST=AA.BB.CC.DD LEN=255
   TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=52863 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=80 DPT=4091
   WINDOW=6432 RES=0x00 ACK PSH FIN URGP=0
is getting blocked because it doesn't meet this:
   iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp -s WW.XX.YY.ZZ --sport http
       -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
which is strange because the DST is a connecting webbrowser which apache
logs show has seen some data, but apparently iptables is blocking a
piece.  That is to say that the visitor received many pages/images (www
transactions), but iptables blocked one of them or a piece of one of them.

-Jim P.