[ale] DSL and LINUX

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 16 22:36:15 EDT 2006

Glen Lepeska wrote:
> Hello ATL LINUX users:
>
> I am new to you're email list/users group. I used to belong to the
> Upstate South Carolina Linux Users Group but I moved from there to here
> in Atlanta. About me:
>
> I have been using LINUX for about 5 years now as I have 3 LINUX machines
> running in my house - Mandrake 8.2 that runs MYSQL etc,,, Redhat 6.2 for
> an Oracle server and Fedora core 4. I love the OS and work for the
> state. Now, I have a question. I have 6 computers in my house (you know
> I have 3 LINUX machines) and 3 winblows  machines. My setup is like this:
>
> I have a windows server 2003 as a DC (DHCP.DNS, Active Directory etc...)
> 2 2k4 clients
>
> The network is a standard class C - Server 2k3 is 192.168.100
> DHCP is used to assigned IP to 2 win 2k clients via reservations so they
> get the same IP addresses all the time. So....
>
> I just got DSL - Bellsouth (I know, I am SLOW -y'all thinkin 'where've
> ya been dude'). Any ways, I set up a Fedora box so I could use it for a
> firewall/router ( in fact I downloaded the OS from this web site). My
> issue is this:
>
> I have 2 ethernet cards in the Fedora OS. I can't connect to the local
> domain when the eth0 is connected to the box, At this time, Internet is
> only at this machine and no other can connect (squid is installed but no
> go...)  Uhm, so how do I set up a 2 ethernet card LINUX machine that
> will allow a LAN access tge internet ? Can someone PLEASE forward me a
> website so I can get info on this. Does my question make sense ?? This
> may not sounds like it does ??

Hi Glen, Welcome to Atlanta.

If you are going to allow the internal hosts access to the Internet in
ways other than squid, then you will need to setup iptables for NAT'ing
and forwarding.   You will find out that you have to "echo 1 >
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" in order to have linux forward packets
between two interfaces.

Here's a good getting started URL:
   http://www.billauer.co.il/ipmasq-html.html

And don't be afraid to continue to ask questions, the list is chock full
of people waiting to help.

-Jim P.