[ale] "Good" Newsreader for GNOME/Ubuntu?

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 12:52:54 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 08:55 -0400, William Bagwell wrote:
> On Thursday 13 July 2006 01:55 am, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> >snips
> > I could (theoretically) roll my own, using Python, though I would really
> > like to not reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.  I have started
> > playing with it thus far, and have started using the Python bindings for
> > wxWidgets, but the problem is that building all of this stuff is really
> > going slower then I can actually afford.  Paying someone to implement
> > functionality isn't an option for me, either, because I cannot afford to
> > pay someone a reasonable rate (or really, anything, right now) to
> > implement what I need (say, in Pan).
>
> Jebus you are serious about getting exactly what you want! If you run Wine
> or CrossOver office read on, otherwise hit the delete key before I insult
> you:) Check out Forte Agent. Runs great under CXO and can run pretty good
> with plain Wine. It allready has every thing you listed except HTML. Read
> support is in beta testing and should be out soon. (I'm a tester and I am
> happy with it...) Write support is not currently planed.
>
> Coincidentally Agent was rewritten in wxWidgets just a few years ago.
> Variety of reasons, mostly for features that could not be as easily
> implemented in the original Borland C. But it also allows the possibility
> of a native linux version in the future.

hehehe, yeah.  I will be running CXO as soon as I get my next Pell
disbursement, because it would be beneficial to me to get that and the
actual Microsoft Office software.  As much as I love using open source
stuff, I can't get away with writing papers and presentations and such
in OOo and sending it in, because I don't quite always know if it is
going to be perfect.  I have managed to get (most) of the little quirks
with working in the word processor figured out, but when I have to start
using PowerPoint, I don't know if I will be so lucky.  So, I could try
it out at that point--I have heard lots of good things about it.

One other thing -- and I am submitting a bug report on this one now --
Evolution doesn't automatically detect the character set of incoming
messages, which is kind of annoying.  Though, Outlook Express is guilty
of much worse -- it will read UTF-8, and then reply in ISO-8859-1.
Arrgh!  Why it does that is beyond me, but it *sucks*!  In any case,
Evolution should detect inbound ISO-8859-1 messages, say, in the case of
OE, since OE doesn't actually send any header to inform the client
reader what the message is in.  Why it doesn't just use UTF-8, though,
is beyond me.

	- Mike