[ale] iMac

Van Loggins vanloggins at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 07:23:14 EDT 2006

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:38:19 -0400
> From: Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>
> Subject: [ale] iMac
> To: ale at ale.org
>
> Based on a review on http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=15122 I
> bought a Snow G3 500/256m/20GB/CD-RW iMac.  It came with OSX 10.1 and I
> want my daughter to primarily use it to access disney.com and nick.com.
> Will the flash work well?  Are there any G3 based Live CD's where I can
> boot up Linux to back up the HDD to an image file over the network?

Hardly anyone in the Apple community will tell you this but up until the G5
models came out, you could install OSX from the Grey restore disks from any
Mac system. What you may want to do is check on ebay and see if you can find
yourself a G4 restore disk set for Mac OSX version 10.3 "Panther", for a
good price.  That version should run very well on that system. Make sure
that they specify that it has the OS disks, as some people just sell the
application restore disks for the systems and they keep the OS disks for
themselves. As an alternative you should be able to find a used retail copy
of Panther for less than 50 dollars on ebay.

I've noticed with Mac OS X with each new version the OS gets faster but it
definitely likes memory, you may want to get another stick of ram to put in
your system to help it perform at maximum efficiency.

Hope this info helps you out.

Take care

Van Loggins