[ale] laptop battery life [maybe OT]

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Jul 3 08:33:12 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 08:17, joh6nn wrote:

> > If the laptop is a few years old and you've not replaced the battery
> > then simply buy a new battery...
> >

> heh.  the laptop is "mission critical" 'cause i'm a college student
> (reads: "broke") finishing out a year abroad.  considering what a new battery
> runs at the local equivalent to BestBuy, at the moment, it's almost, but not
> quite, entirely out of the question.

Yea,  I understand.  Its one of those things that cost a lot but does
not add the right kind of value.  A external 100GB USB drive adds extra
value.   If it were me I would probably look at all my options and if I
could live with having to plug in I would simply skip the battery.  I
use my laptop now at customer sites and 99% of the time have no problem
finding power.  At home I use my desktop and my laptop could sit a week
or more in the off position.  If I needed a battery now I would simply
consider a new laptop purchase.  Batteries could be close to $100 so you
have to consider if a new laptop could be a benefit since you can get a
new system for $500 (MicroCenter) now.

One source of a battery could be eBay.