[ale] Going Debian; partman question

Bob Slaughter rslau at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 2 15:49:46 EDT 2006

I'm getting ready to upgrade my 2.0-kernel Mandrake 7.1 based system to Debian
Sarge 3.1r1, and I have a question about partman's (the partitioner and disk
formatter). I have some existing ext2 partitions I want to wipe and convert to
ext3, but two ext2's I want to leave alone (they're holding the backups of my
home directory and the old contents of /etc with all the old configuration
information). I can't find any reference in the Debian Install documentation
how much control on whether a partition get formatted or not.

Can anyone here answer this for me?

Anything else I should know about? Should I be worried about my NC100 ethernet
card?

My current fstab with notes below:

/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat user,exec,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda2 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda5 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda6 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda7 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hda9 /music ext2 exec,dev,suid,rw 1 2

/dev/hdb1 /storage1 ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb5 /storage2 ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb6 /storage3 ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb7 /storage4 ext2 defaults 1 2

It's storage1 and storage 4 that *have* to be left aslone for now.

Thanks for the help in advance!

--
Bob Slaughter, rslauGUESS at WHATmindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~rslau/
North Georgia Modurail: http://www.trainweb.org/northgamodurail/