[ale] Putting wifi in the house

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 22:53:17 EST 2006

Version 2 of the PCI card is the only one supported in Linux; and yes,
I am using in an old P2 machine as a WAP. I am sure the card itself
can do WPA. The question is if the driver can do it. You will probably
have to use Xsupplicant (http://open1x.sourceforge.net/); the last
time I tried to use it, though, it was very rudimentary. But I was
also using the Orinoco drivers which have very, very, poor "extra
features" support. In fact, I had to hack in some stuff to the driver
on my own to get it working. Since I got my PowerBook I really haven't
done much with Linux and wireless. A lot of this could have changed
over the past year.

As for transferring sensitive files over the wireless. It just isn't a
good idea no matter what steps you take. None of the currenty
solutions are really secure enough to make it a good idea. You will be
better off transfering them over a hard wired local network.