[ale] Windows remote login for Linux

Thomas Stromberg lists at stromberg.org
Fri Jan 27 14:28:02 EST 2006

On 27 jan 2006, at 14.14, Tony Carter wrote:

>> vpnc allows that, even if the Cisco server is fussy.  I know
>> they have configured the server not to allow local access
>> because they assume all their Windog VPN clients are
>> surrounded by virus-ridden botnet-infected hell boxen, which
>> is probably true, but why should I have to suffer because of
>> that? :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> Bad, Bad Network user, Trying to subvert policy. Just kidding.
>
> I have not confirmed it but was told you could simply add a route
> to your
> local subnet and bypass the Cisco Local net restriction.

If that's true, it would make my life under Windows much easier. I'll
have to see about giving it a shot. My current solution to get my
desktop (LAN) and laptop (VPN) talking to each other is combining a
forward and reverse SSH tunnel: http://toadstool.se/journal/
2005/08/09/using-ssh-to-route-around-damage .. I'm not a big fan of
this solution, because it means that my packets have to travel 1200
miles round trip to get to a machine that is only 2 inches away.
Synergy gets a bit lagged at times.

// Thomas Str?mberg
// http://toadstool.se/
// +1 678 773 9475