[ale] Hopefully last LCD question

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jan 27 10:29:24 EST 2006

cfowler at outpostsentinel.com wrote:

> Hopefully this is the last question.  I'm looking at the ViewSonic 20"
> widescreen and it is really about 15" in height.  Since I spend
> a majority of my day coding and I like seeing the most code as possible on
> one screen would it be wise to get a wide screen or a normal screen?

Is your code not written in such a way that a window of that size can
not view a concise segment of code?

I work with code windows that are standard xterm length of 24 lines.

> With a widescreen I could put more windows out but the number of
> lines I would view in vim would be reduced since the vertical
> resolution of a ws is lower than a normal LCD.
>
> What I'm asking is are widescreens made more for gaming and
> multimedia instead of doing work like coding, monitoring, email, etc.

Most of these devices are for multimedia.  What you might want to
consider is a rotating screen and a video card that supports rotation in X.

My 20" Samsung rotates, but X does not support rotation for my video card.

I really don't know how many cards or which ones are supported.

--
Until later, Geoffrey