[ale] compressed file system?

Thomas Stromberg lists at stromberg.org
Thu Jan 26 16:01:59 EST 2006

On 26 jan 2006, at 15.46, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> On 1/26/06, John Wells <jb at sourceillustrated.com> wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> Is anyone aware of a stable read/write compressed file system
>> implementation for Linux?

Not as far as I've been able to tell. Reiser4 has a compression
module that is being worked on, though I'm not sure if it has yet
reached the stable standpoint. I'm not sure if the compression in
Reiser4 is block-based or if it is being done on a per-fire basis. I
am hoping that it's block based (like ZFS), as file-based compression
can get a bit slow when making small manipulations to large files.

http://www.tldp.org/FAQ/Linux-FAQ/partitions.html has some
interesting solutions under the "Does Linux Support Compressed Ext2
File Systems?" QA. All of the solutions mentioned in there seem to
scream "experimental" to me, however. JFS also has built-in
compression, but I don't believe this feature made it to the Linux port.

// Thomas Str?mberg
// http://toadstool.se/
// +1 678 773 9475