[ale] SSH session ends immediately after authentication

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jan 26 14:45:23 EST 2006

That's pretty strange. It looks like the NIC is dropping the connection
or possibly there is a system error on the far end. The only traffic
happening according to the debug is data hitting stderr. You will need
access to the logs for more data.

I hate saying this but has the machine been rebooted? Does any of the
other networked services show signed of being crappy? Run some nmap
scans on port 22 (all varieties) and see if it hangs.

There is also the possibility that the hard drive had a failure that
impacted to data for the sshd binary. If ssh was reloaded, it is now
using the bad binary. It may something as small as a single bit flip.

It really looks like you will need console access for this one. The fact
that you get as far as seeing the Last: data says that ssh _is_ working.

Hmm. The next step is to start the environment for remote users. Bash
should load first but it isn't. It could be that the the sshd.conf file
was changed to "UseLogin no". That would halt the process before the
shell can start (since there is no login process to call a shell).

If you have webmin installed you can cat the sshd.conf file and make sed
edits.