[ale] Windows remote login for Linux

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Wed Jan 25 23:29:32 EST 2006

Michael Hirsch wrote:

> On 1/25/06, *Allan Neal* <allanneal at comcast.net
> <mailto:allanneal at comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>     My company uses Cisco VPN concentrators.  The Linux Cisco VPN
>     client works
>     very well.
>

> Can you get DNS to work over the VPN?  I've used the Cisco VPN several
> times and can never get DNS going.  I need to know exact IP addresses,
> but other than that it is very functional.

I use the Cisco client on a Fedora machine, and the client has no trouble
using the DNS servers on the remote network.

 I'd like to try vpnc (the open-souce Cisco client), but I haven't got
around to it yet. Specifically, I'd really like to enable access to my LAN
while the VPN is active, and I bet vpnc allows that, even if the Cisco
server is fussy.  I know they have configured the server not to
allow local access because they assume all their Windog VPN clients
are surrounded by virus-ridden botnet-infected hell boxen, which is
probably true, but why should I have to suffer because of that? :-)

Cheers,

-- JK